Sanders Theatre Meeting.

The meeting in Sanders Theatre last evening was well attended by both freshmen and upper class men, about six hundred being present. Professor Shaler made a few introductory remarks, welcoming the class of '95 and then presented President Eliot who spoke most entertainingly upon the opportunities and obligations of our University life. He said in substance that one does not really appreciate the opportunities he now enjoys until many years have passed. The university life is the most precious and valuable gift to the civilized man. The concentrated knowledge of ages past, the experience of many years, a body of learned men, all are here. They are the fruits of the labor, hope and prayer of generations. No class has had the advantage offered to '95 Now is the most important epoch in your lives. The restrictions of school and home life are here cast off and discretion of judgement and self control cultivated. It is the beginning of one's life work. The confidence in the student felt by the University is shown in the freedom given in the choice of studies and in religious matters. This tends to develop self confidence and self control. One of the most important questions which meet the new student is that which pertains to the choice of companions. Select those who give you something, who uplift and strengthen, who are in fact above you in an intellectual way. Young men do not carry their imaginations far enough forward into the future. They should realize what is to be expected of them and develope themselves mentally and physically to be pure, honorable and all honor to the college.

Professor Briggs impressed upon his hearers that the dean is a human being, a fact not always recognized. The office contains men whom you have a right to count upon as friends. It must prosecute, for it is responsible for the actions of the students, but if one is ever in trouble he should go there to receive advice.

Professor J. W. White, chairman of the committee on athletics, gave a detailed account of the facilities for exercise and the advantages arising from it. Professor Lyon spoke of the religious aspect of the college. He showed how with the extension of elective studies came the demand for religious freedom, resulting in the present system of religious instruction. He dwelt on the value and need of the impulse from this source and the success already attained.

Professor Shaler closed the meeting with a few appropriate remarks.