Foot Ball at Yale and Princeton.

Yale has been playing foot ball now for just a week and Capt. McClung has begun to get a good idea of what material he has from which to build up a team. McClung, Heffelfinger, Wallis, S. Morrison, Barbour, Crosby, Hartwell and L. Bliss are those of the last year eleven who are back. The men who have graduated and whose places are to be filled are Rhodes, r.t.; Holcomb and Lewis, c.; Harvey and Williams, f. b., and B. Morrison, f. b. Most of the men who have come back it will be noticed are players of long standing, veterans and men from whom much can be expected. One or two of them are old crew men and so return to foot ball with additional experience and skill.

Of the many candidates for the four vacancies on the Yale team there are some very promising men: Paine, Sanford '95, and Stewart are the leading candidates for centre, which position was so weak last year. Paine is a crew man and also played foot ball two years ago, so that he is by no means green. He played in the position on Thursday against Wesleyan. Sanford, the big freshman, has just come from the high school and so neither is he a stranger on the Yale field. He played in place of Heffelfinger on Thursday and is reported as having shown great strength though much clumsiness. The other vacancy in the line, right tackle, is being striven for by Mills, Cochran and Winter. Mills played some last year but the other two men are quite new. Cochran while not so good a player as either Mills or Winter is noted for his great coolness and "sand" so that he may yet develop.

Back of the line McClung and Barbour alone represent last year's team, but Bliss though not exactly a 'varsity man last year is very promising and will doubtless turn out a great half back. Noyes played full back in the Wesleyan game and played very well and his kicking is also highly commended. He played some last year and is far superior to the other candidates. It looks very much as if he would be the 'varsity full back.

The schedule of games for the Yale eleven for October is just out and is as follows: 3d Crescents at Brooklyn; 7th Trinity at Hartford; 14th Stagg's eleven at New Haven; 17th M. I. T. at New Haven; 25th Orange A. C. at Orange, N. Y.; 31st Lehigh at New Haven.

At Princeton as well as at Yale the foot ball men have been out for nearly a week and Saturday Capt. Warren picked out a team to play the first game of the season against Rutgers. Most of the men who are mentioned as candidates for the eleven are new, and the outlook for a crack team at Princeton does not look very promising. Capt. Warren will play right end and Vincent '94, left. This latter has shown much ability for the position and is looked upon as a coming player. Irvine will probably secure a position on the line as will Riggs and Symms. This latter is booked for centre rush and is a tremendous fellow but his health is not of the best and may yet prevent him from playing. It is in the backs that Princeton excels. King will play quarter and Homans full back - both old men, and "Johnnie" Poe a brother of the ex-captain is sure of being one of the halves. His playing is daily improving and he promises to be even more brilliant than his brother. The other half is still vacant. At full back Homans is distinguishing himself and his kicking is very fine. Ex-Captain Poe has just reached Princeton and will give the eleven the benefit of his coaching during most of the present month.