The Practice Yesterday.

The rain poured down in sheets on Jarvis Field yesterday afternoon and the foot ball ground was nothing but mud and water. In spite of the storm, however, there was a very encouraging attendance of the students, and the team, itself managed to put up a very respectable game.

They began playing at three o'clock and, with a short intermission at four o'clock, played till almost dark. During the first part of the practice the fumbling by both hacks and forwards was very frequent. In fact it seemed to be the usual order of things. Afterwards, however, when the men had got warmed to their work they were able to hold on to the slippery ball better, and managed to play a very good game.

The team play was encouraging at times, though frequently the rush-line fell back into its old ways, and began playing each man for himself, when the 'varsity had the ball. Notwithstanding the occasional lapses, the general play showed increased strength in interference. Mackie did especially good work at right guard, breaking through well and interfering effectively. Newell also played well, as usual, and Emmons and Hallowell both got down on the ball well, though they showed their old tendency to over run their man on a kick. Dexter did not play, nor did Vail, Highlands filling the place at left guard. The state of Dexter's knee is still uncertain. If it develops into water on the knee, he cannot be a possibility for the Yale game. The doctor will probably be able to state definitely today regarding his injury.

The eleven played its usual regulation rushing game yesterday. Occasionally it formed the wedge which proved effective against the second eleven. Lake did not play the whole game: he was substituted by White who made some very pretty rushes. On the second eleven Burgess had his knee badly wrenched. Ex-captain Cumnock was on the field and did some very lively and effective coaching throughout the game.