First Vesper Service.

Rev. Henry Van Dyke at the first vesper service yesterday, spoke on the two different kinds of thanksgiving as typified by the Pharisee in the parable and by Saint Paul. The first is an enumeration of the virtues that the praiser finds in himself coupled with thanks to God that they are so beautiful. The second kind of praise, that which Paul uses, expresses humility in every word. It thanks God, of course, for the benefits He has sent, but sees in them gifts which are all the more loving for being so little deserved. The first kind of thanksgiving is for possessions that are too good even to be thought of by "ordinary" men, the second for bounty, always above desert, and inspiring the receiver to rejoice in its superabundance and its sufficiency for others. The first kind shuts itself off from true gifts, the second opens the heart to more and more of the infinite store.

The Harvest music, sung by the choirs of Appleton Chapel and St. Paul's Church, Boston, was as follows: Harvest Hymn, "Sing to the Lord a Joyful Song" - Bunneth; anthem, "Ye Shall go Out with Joy" - Barnby; anthem, "Lo! Summer Comes Again" - Stainer.