Professor Smith's Lectures.

Professor Charles Sprague Smith, who will begin his course of lectures on Icelandic Saga this evening is not a stranger to Harvard men. Last year he delivered a lecture at the invitation of the College Conference, and two years ago he lectured at the request of the Deutscher Verein. Mr. Smith was formerly professor of the Romance Languages in Columbia College, but in recent years he resigned that position and has devoted his time and attention since then to lecturing on the Norse Languages. Mr. Smith is especially interested in the history of Iceland; he has made a voyage there and has collected some very interesting matter. He comes to Harvard this year as a lecturer appointed by the Corporation and will deliver a series of five illustrated lectures - two in November, on the 25 and 27, and three in December, on the 2d, 3d, and 4th. The subject of this evening's lecture will be "Iceland, from Ingolf's Settlement to its subjection to Norway." The lecture this evening will be given Harvard 1, at 8 p. m., and will be open to the public.