Classical Club Lecture.

Professor Richardson of Dartmouth College delivered a lecture last evening on the Excavation of the American School at Eretria.

Professor Richardson has been president of the American School at Athens for the past year and has been a member of the party, which has made the recent excavations. The lecturer told of the great privations which the party had undergone on their journey from Athens to Eretria; they were obliged to go by sea owing to a terrible snow storm which was raging at the time. Then followed an outline of the history of Eretria. After this, stereopticon views illustrated the accounts of the excavations made. Just outside the town of Eretria the party came upon great blocks of marble. Within these were layers of stone which being dug out revealed bodies. On these were wreaths of gold and rings. Within some of these graves there were also diadems and +++terra cotta images. On one of these graves only was there any inscription. After this the party came upon a theatre and found some very interesting developments. They noted some very strange things about this theatre; it contained two vaulted passages and an underground passage from the middle of the orchestra to the stage.

There were very many stereopticon views giving the same thing from a different point of view. Professor Richardson left the room dark the entire evening and prefaced each view with a few words of introduction.