The Catalogue.

The catalogue of Harvard University for 1890-91, which will be put on sale today, has the same substantial appearance as its predecessors and contains numerous facts of interest.

Prominent among the changes is the one already familiar but not recorded in the catalogue, of the transformation of the Academic Council into the University Council, and that of the College Faculty into the Faculty of Arts and Sciences which has charge of the College, the Lawrence Scientific School and the Graduate School.

Under the heading "Government of the University" is recorded an act passed by the Legislature, March 13, 1889, to enlarge the power of the President and Fellows of Harvard College to hold valuable real estate. The passage of this act was suggested by the complication which arose at Cornell in connection with the Fiske-McGraw legacy.

The figures of membership of the University are as follows: Professors, 73, an increase over last year of 2; assistant-professors, 22, an increase of 1; lecturers, 9, an increase of 4; tutors 3, increase of 2; instructors, 79, increase of 7; demonstrators and assistants, 56, increase of 9; whole number of teachers, 242, increase of 25.

The senior class contains 289 men to last year's 278; the juniors are 254 to last year's 244; the sophomores, 289 to 282; the freshmen 366 to 323; the specials, 141 to 144; total in the college, 1339 against 1271 for 1889-90. The Scientific School jumps from 65 to 88; the Graduate school from 107 to 125. The total number of students in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences is thus 1552.

The Divinity School increases from 35 to 41, the Law School from 254 to 279, the Medical School from 290 to 328, the Dental School from 35 to 44, the Bussey Institution from 2 to 7, the Summer Schools from 232 to 291. The Veterinary school alone remains stationary with just 20 men. The total in the whole University is 2271 against 2079 an increase of 192 in all departments.

Under the heading "Times and Places of Examinations" the announcement is made that the entrance examinations will be held in the following additional places; Groton, Cleveland, Denver, and at any school or city where ten or more candidates will present themselves.

The Dante prize of 1889-90 awarded in 1889-90 to C. S. Latham '84, who died before the award was announced, is, in accordance with his mother's wish offered again this year.

After 1890-91 the award of scholarships to freshmen in January and to seniors in June will be discontinued. The Bright scholarships are reduced from $250 to $200. The Gambrill scholarship of $400. the Henry B. Humphry fund of $10, 000 are new foundations and the Palfrey Exhibition is reduced to $80.

There are various other changes of greater or less importance in the other departments. The make-up of the catalogue is somewhat changed in view of the grouping of three departments under the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Full importance is given to the Graduate School which attempts are being made to make as attractive as possible by the concentration there of all available scholarships.