George Edward Woodberry, '77.

In the Writer for February is an interesting sketch of George E. Woodberry, Harvard '77, already one of the most widely known of young American literary men. In college he was an editor of the Advocate, to which he contributed some of his first poems. After graduation he was twice called to fill a chair in the University of Nebraska, but in 1882 he returned to his home at Beverly. Between this time and 1885 appeared his "History of Wood Engraving;" an edition of the "North Shore Watch;" and his life of "Edgar Allan Poe." In 1885 and again in 1889 he visited Italy. In the spring of 1890 his "North Shore Watch and Other Poems" appeared, followed in the autumn by "Studies in Letters and Life." In the former volume was the poem "My Country" which Professor Paine used as the text for his cantata, rendered in 1888 at the great Cincinnati musical festival. Mr. Woodberry formerly contributed to the Atlantic and now writes frequently for the literary department of the Nation. He lives in Boston, spending his summers at his old home at Beverly.