Cups for the Football Men.

At the Union Club rooms Saturday evening, Messrs. Hodges and Shewood, representing the Harvard Club of New York presented, each member of the football team with a handsome silver cup. Mr. Clark, who was to have been the third member of the committee was detained by illness in his family and did not arrive. About 8 o'clock the football team and a number of other athletic men, together with some who were not athletic, began to assemble in the rooms. Perhaps fifty men were in the rooms when Messrs. Hodges and Sherwood arrived. Cumnock introduced the former gentleman as spokesman for New York, saying that the whole college owed the graduates from that city unstinted gratitude for the earnest efforts they had made to show our athletes how their efforts to win in a straightforward gentlemanly way will be backed by the approbation of the alumni. He added that Mr. Hodges had often shown his loyalty to Harvard in defeat as he now had a chance to show it in victory. Mr. Hodges then made a short address, the drift of which was that the New York graduates were not trying simply to glorify victors but to show their pleasure at the fact that what success we have had lately was success in true spot. "We always want Harvard to win," said he, "but we want you undergraduates to feel that whether you win or Yale wins we say let the best man win."

After this the company listened to some songs by Messrs. Wendell and Swarts, saw Alward and the janitor do some dancing, talked a good deal, ate some ice-cream; the football men got their cups and went home. The cups are elegant ones with one handle, bright silver outside, frosted within; each one having inscribed on it the score, date of game and name of player. Cumnock's cup was distinguished by its greater weight and elaborateness. Besides these cups for the individuals, there is a splendid trophy for the football association in the shape of a gigantic two-handled cup with the names of this year's players on it. This is the Cumnock cup. Whenever another Harvard football team beats Yale the names of its players will also be inscribed on it until it is covered with names. The Harvard men of New York hope that some of the spaces will soon be filled.