The 'Varsity Crew on the River.

The 'varsity crew rowed on the river yesterday afternoon for the first time this season. Night before last the ice in the river was fairly solid; since then, however, the ice has broken up rapidly and yesterday afternoon the river was perfectly clear. The big float has no yet been put in the river, and the crew yesterday put in their barge from the small, upper float. They went out in the new barge which has been made this past winter, but which has never before been used.

The make-up of the crew was changed considerably from the way it has been rowing in the tank. Yesterday Watriss, '92, was at bow; Powers. '92, at 2; Rantoul, '92, at 3; Vail, '93, at 4; Shaw, '94, at 5; Lynam, M. S., at 6; Kelton, '93, at 7; and Captain Perkins at stroke. C. F. Adams, L. S., acted as coxswain and coached the crew. The men rowed a considerable distance above the Boylston St. bridge, and stayed out for a little over an hour. Last year the crew went out on the river March 13, three weeks later than this year.

It seems improbable that the river will freeze over again, and the crew will hereafter be able to do most of its rowing on open water. This afternoon the junior class crew will go on the river.