Regulations on Athletics.

The following are the regulations on athletic sports, passed by the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports, which are in force from this time forward. Section 2 in regard to the regulations for physical examination is new:

Regulations on Athletics.1. No dismissed or suspended student, or student on probation, can take part in any public athletic contest. This prohibition includes all match games, races, or athletic exhibitions, whether confined to students of the University or not. [Faculty Regulation.]

2. No student shall take part in any public athletic contest without the previous permission of the Director of the Gymnasium, based upon such physical examination as he may require.

Violation of this rule debars a student from all further participation in public athletic contests, whether confined to students of the University or not, until he is reinstated by vote of the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports.

3. No schedule of match games, races, or athletic exhibitions, arranged by any athletic organization shall take effect until it has been approved by the committee.

4. No match games, races, or athletic exhibitions, whether confined to students of the University or not, shall take place in Cambridge except after the last recitation hour on Saturday, or after four o'clock in the afternoon on other days. [Faculty Regulation.]

5. All match games, races, or athletic exhibitions outside of Cambridge shall take place upon Saturday, unless permission for another day is first obtained from the committee in writing.

6. No person shall assume the functions of trainer or instructor in athletics upon the grounds or within the buildings of the University, without authority in writing from the committee.

7. Any athletic organization making use of University buildings or grounds for match games, races, or athletic exhibitions, will be held responsible for the good order of participants and spectators, during the time of occupancy.

8. Captains and officers of the various athletic organizations will be held responsible for the observance of the above rules by members of their organizations; and of such further regulations as may be communicated to them by the committee.

Regulation Relating to Physical Examinations.2. No student shall take part in any public athletic contest without the previous permission of the Director of the Gymnasium, based upon such physical examination as he may require.

Regulation 2 applies to all students who take part in the following contests:

H. A. A.- Autumn, Winter, and Spring Meetings; Class Meetings; Intercollegiate Meetings. H. U. B. B. A.- Games of the University and Freshman Nines with nines not connected with the University; Class Games. H. U. B. C.- Races of the University and Freshman Crews with crews not connected with the University; Class Races. H. U. F. B. A.- Games of University and Freshman Elevens with elevens not connected with the University; Class Games. H. U. C. A.- Open meetings on the track; Intercollegiate Road Races and Meetings.

Examinations for the autumn sports will begin promptly on the first day of the college year; examinations for the winter and spring will begin on the first day of February.

Appointments for examination should be made with the Director of the Gymnasium at least one week before the event; but students are advised to make their appointments and to have their examinations earlier than this. If the appointment conflicts with a regular college engagement, notification will be sent to the Secretary of the University by the Director, and the absence from the college engagement will be excused.

Permission is granted by certificate, which specifies the sport and length of permission. The certificate will not be delivered to the person examined until the week of the event, or of the first event of a series, and it will then be delivered only on personal application. It must be deposited immediately in the box of the Committee on Athletics in the entry of the Gymnasium.

Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports.The committee for the year 1890-91 is constituted as follows:

Faculty members-Professor John Williams White, Chairman; Professor James Barr Ames, Professor George A. Bartlett. Graduate members-Dr. Maurice H. Richardson, '73, Mr. William Hooper '80, Mr. George B. Morison '83. Undergraduate members-Lawrence Brooks '91, Secretary; Neal Rantoul '92, Louis A. Frothingham '93.

Regular meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each month at 8 o'clock in the evening.

The following are the Sub-Committees, members of which may be consulted in regard to the subjects specially committed to them: On Players and Schedules-Professor White, Dr. Richardson, Brooks. On Grounds and Buildings-Professor Bartlett, Mr. Morison, Frothingham. On Athletic Organizations-Professor Ames, Mr. Hooper, Rantoul.

Elected in December, 1890, in place of Dr. H. P. Walcott, resigned.