President Eliot's Return.

President and Mrs. Eliot returned from their western trip on Monday night; and yesterday morning the president began his work again at his office in University 5. Both he and Mrs. Eliot have enjoyed remarkably good health throughout the entire trip which lasted about six weeks. Their first stop was in Cleveland, where President Eliot assisted in the inauguration of Rev. Charles F. Thwing as president of Adelbert College. Mr. Thwing was in the class of '76 at Harvard, and after his graduation held various pastoral charges before being elected to the presidency of Adelbert college.

From Cleveland the president went to Chicago where he stayed five days; thence to Milwaukee; thence to St. Paul and Minneapolis; and from there on west to Omaha and thence to Denver. At Denver he remained some time with his son, the Rev. Samuel A. Eliot. From Denver he went to Colorado Springs; and then home by way of Kansas City, St. Louis, Greencastle, Indiana, the seat of De Panw University, Imbanapolis and Pittshurg.

In all of these cities President Eliot was given several receptions; and the president spoke at all the dinners held by the various Harvard clubs in his honor. He and Mrs. Eliot were received with the utmost cordiality everywhere. For the president, however, the trip was not purely for pleasure. He took the opportunity to make a careful study of the educational institutions and systems of the west, to compare them with our own methods, and to make general Investigations for the interest of Harvard. At the many public lectures which he gave, he invariably spoke on some educational topic, connected with the changes of the past few years.

Harvard is unusually strong in the states west of the Mississippi. In the Chio valley, on the contrary, is Yale's stronghold. Before the war a large part of her many graduates settled in that region, and made a great boom for Yale. Since the war, however, Harvard has been sending more of her men out West and the results are now showing. This growing interest in Harvard is likely to result in a still further representation in our college and graduate school from the western schools and colleges.