Cornell and Yale Crews.

The 'varsity and freshman crews of Cornell are now in active training for the races next June. At present, Cornell boating men are not absolutely sure with whom their crews will row. Hagerman, of last year's Cornell crew, who is now at Yale and rowing on the 'varsity crew of that college, has written to a friend in Ithaca that if Harvard accepts Yale's challenge to a freshman race, Cornell will not be challenged. If Harvard refuses, Cornell will be challenged. Commodore Sanger of the Cornell navy, goes to New Haven today to challenge Yale to a 'varsity race over a three mile or four mile course, as Yale wishes. It is Yale's duty to challenge Cornell for a freshman race, and Cornell will wait for that. Harvard, also, is to be challenged both to a freshman and 'varsity race, and, as a New York paper puts it, "the friends of Cornell will anxiously await the result."

The candidates for the Cornell crew have been reduced to the following men: Witherbee 152, Marsten 185, Benedict 166, Barr 160, Wolf 170, Griffith 175, Kelley 160, Young 168, Hill 185. Witherbee, the stroke of last year's victorious freshmen eight, will probably stroke the crew. Embick, the coxswain of last year, will be succeeded by Allen, the coxswain of the freshman crew, who weighs but eighty pounds.

In the Yale crew, there have been no material changes during the past few days. It is as good as settled now that Ives, Simms and Ferris will be unable to row. Hartwell may possibly be persuaded upon to begin training, but as yet all influence brought to bear upon him has been unsuccessful. He is endeavoring to do two years' work in one and gives this as his reason for refusing. The candidates have now been reduced to fourteen men and these will go to the training table this week.