Professor Cooke's Lecture on English History.

Prof. Cooke took for the subject of the last lecture in his course, Cambridge. After a short description of the situation of Cambridge, at the junction of the three roads built by the Romans, Professor Cooke passed on to the University itself. While a few years ago Harvard celebrated her two hundred and fiftieth anniversary, in 1884 Professor Cooke received an invitation to the six hundredth anniversary of Peter's College, where the poet Gray lived for a time.

Passing along on the same street, we come next to a row of three colleges, Corpus Christi, St. Catherine's and Queen's College. Here lived Erasmus the first to introduce the study of Latin and Greek to the University. Directly opposite is a most beautiful building, founded by Henry VI. a few years after he founded Eton School, in 1443 A. D. Not far beyond King's college we pass under the most charming stone gateway, half hidden by ivy, and called the "Gate of Honor," into one of the most beautiful old gardens in all Cambridge.

The largest and most important college in Cambridge is Trinity, which is made famous the world over as the college of Bacon, Byron, Dryden, Tennyson, Isaac Newton and many others as great as these.

Passing hurriedly through the views of the next largest college, St. Johns, and then Magdalen, we reach the only elevated spot in all Cambridge, Castle Hill. From here could be seen Christ College, where Milton obtained his degree, and Emanuel. This latter college is rendered peculiarly interesting to Harvard students, for here John Harvard was famous. Here the self-appointed committee of the colony of Massachusetts met and indirectly laid the foundation of Harvard College.