The Freshman Race at New London.

Statements appeared in yesterday's papers to the effect that Columbia '94 had accepted the proposition of Harvard '94 to admit the Yale freshmen to the race next June. No one could be found in Cambridge last night who could say anything definitely about the matter, but there seems to be no doubt that the rumor is true, and that the Harvard and Yale freshman crews will meet for the first time since 1886. At that time the Yale freshmen were allowed to enter the Harvard-Columbia race, but were swamped before the first mile had been rowed, and since then the impression has prevailed that the course is too narrow for a three-cornered race. There is, however, no real ground for this impression, for the cause of Yale's disaster was not lack of room for the crews, but rough water, as Columbia's shell came very near sharing Yale's fate, being half full of water at the finish.

The following extract from the Columbia Spectator shows that the higher powers in Columbia's athletics favored the admission of Yale to the race, and leaves little room for doubt that the action of the freshmen is as stated in yesterday's papers:

"At the last meeting of the Advisory Committee of the C. C. C. U., the freshmen were advised to allow Yale to enter the race with Harvard. Cornell sent a letter objecting to this arrangement, but it was considered best to disregard it."