Ninety-four vs. C. M. T. S.

The college has witnessed poor exhibitions of ball before; it has seen nines go to pieces and throw away games, but, it is safe to say, never before has this college been called upon to witness such a disgraceful attempt at playing ball as the freshmen gave yesterday afternoon on Jarvis field, when the Manual Training School defeated them twenty-two to four.

Minton and Cabot composed the battery. The pitcher had an off day and gave six bases on balls, hit three men and allowed three hits in the first inning. The catcher broke his finger at the very beginning of the game and so was unable to hold the third strike. He, however, persisted in playing through the inning and of course made several errors. Linfield and Clarke were put in at the end of the first inning.

The Ninety-four nine played a good game on Saturday, they have been improving lately and gave hopes of playing well-but yesterday's game dispelled all those illusions. The members of the team and those who were responsible for yesterday's game can expect nothing but censure from the college; they deserve nothing less. No class team should become so demoralized as to make seventeen errors and to allow their opponents to make seventeen runs in the first inning.

The batting of the nine was very weak, they made but four hits and their base running was miserable. There was practically no coaching, and the team was completely demoralized. The captain seemed totally unable to rally his men and consented to play a game with an umpire whose decisions were most unfair and prejudiced. The umpiring of Mr. Stearns was outrageous. The teams:

Manual Training School-Whittemore, catcher; Moore, s. s.; Capithorne, pitcher; Fiske, 2nd base; Littlefield, 3rd base; Gass, 1st base; Gaytons, left-field; Stevens, right-field; Scotten and Richards, centre-field.

Ninety-four-Beals, centre-field; Quigley, s. s.; Harding, right-field; Lowell, 2nd base; Hoag, left-field; P. Cabot, 3rd base; Clark and H. Cabot, catcher; Homans, 1st base; Linfield and Minton, pitcher.

The score by innings:

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

H. '94, 0 1 2 0 0 0 1 0 0-4

C. M., 17 1 1 0 0 0 0 2 1-22