Base Ball During the Vacation.

The nine has not had the best sort of weather to play ball in during the vacation, and, all things considered, has made a very creditable showing. The men have batted fairly well, and have shown the effect of sound coaching bytheir daring and successful base-running. The fielding has been steady and good. None of our pitching has seemed to puzzle the professional teams, but the pitchers are in fine form, and may be relied upon for some good work before the season is over.

The first scheduled game of the season was played with the Manchesters at Manchester on Thursday. The day was cold and the grounds were in bad condition. Nevertheless 1,500 people attended the game and crowded on the field, driving the ontfielders in towards the bases. Harvard's game was characterized by the batting of Dean, and the fine fielding of Hovey, Dean and Cook. Manchester is Dean's home, and in the middle of the game he was presented with a large basketof (paper) flowers by some of his friends. The Harvard team was as follows: Dean, 2b.; Hallowell, c. f.; Hovey, s. s.; Trafford, 1b.; Frothingham, r. f.; Dickinson, l. f.; Upton, c.; Cobb, c.; Cook, 3b.; Bates, p.; Howe, p. The score was 9 to 5 in favor of Harvard and the hits 11 to 8. Dickinson made a double and Dean a triple. The stolen bases for the Harvard team were Dean (3), Hallo-well, Trafford, Frothingham and Upton (2). Dickinson, Cook and Bates struck out.

The first game with the Bostons took place on Saturday. The day was so cold that only about 150 people turned out. The Bostons found no difficuly in beating us 15 to 5, but this did not make the game uninteresting. The fielding of our nine was good and their base running excellent. Hallowell and Hovey batted hard. Cobb and Upton caught prettily. Dean played second base well and Hovey made some beautiful stops at short. In the outfield Dickinson made two pretty catches. Harvard's pitching was her weak point. In the first inning, with Bates in the box, the Bostons made 6 runs on as many hits. In the third inning again the Bostons make four singles and a triple. Howe took Bates' place in the seventh inning and in the eighth was hit for a home run and four singles. The Harvard nine made one single off Clarkson, three singles and a triple off Nichols, and three singles off Sullivan. The score by innings:

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Bostons, 6 0 5 0 1 0 0 3 0-15

Harvards, 0 0 0 1 0 2 2 0 0-5

Earned runs, Boston, 9; Harvards, 1. Stolen bases, M. Sullivan, Quinn, Hovey (3), Hallowell, Cook. First base on balls, by Clarkson, 1; Nichols, 1; Sullivan, 1; Bates, 4; Howe, 2. First base on errors, Boston, 1. Struck out, Stovey, Lake, Dean, Frothingham. Wild pitch, Nichols, 1. Umpire, John F. Morrill.