Conditions Governing the Harvard-Yale Contests for the Track Athletic Cup.

The conditions under which Yale and Harvard shall compete for the new Track Athletic Cup have recently been made out in full. First is stated the deed of gift of the cup and. then follow the constitution and rules adopted by the U. T. A. C. committee. The constitution first gives the time of the annual meeting and the mode of choosing the place, and then defines an an amateur with extreme care. It then prescribes that no student shall compete at more than four meetings; that the starter shall be a professional of known ability; that the controlling officials shall be non-college men, excepting clerk of course, scorers and their assistants; that the U. T. A. C. committee shall decide all protests of eligibility; that entries shall close at least two weeks before the day of the games; that a list of entries shall be sent, at least twelve days before the the annual games, by the secretary of each college association, to the secretary of the other association, and to the chairman of the U. T. A. C. committee; that protests must be sent to said chairman as soon as said list is received; that said chairman shall notify protested members and all members of the U. T. A. C. committee; and that certificates of qualification shall be sent by protested contestants to said chairman, at least three days before games. The events in the games are then stated and the number of men allowed in each. Then follows the order in which the events shall take place. The constitution then states that expenses of games shall be paid from gate receipts; that training and transportation shall not be included in these expenses; that the cup shall be awarded by points; that each contestant shall have exclusive use of one pole, shot or hammer; that arrangements for games shall be under control of a special committee of four; and, finally, that a special meeting of the U. T. A. C. committee shall be called by the chariman, at the request of any member. This is, of course, merely the gist of the constitution.

There are twenty-eight athletic rules. The first states who the officials of the games shall be and that they shall be appointed by the U. T. A. C. committee. The next nine rules define the duties of these officials with extreme care. The eleventh rule provides that verbal protests may be made at or before a meeting by a member of either

University, but that such protest, before action thereon, shall be made in writing, subsequently, and presented to the U. T. A. C. committee. The next rule prohibits entirely from the inner grounds all except officials, members of press or competitors in events taking place. The 13th rule concerns the track, the 14th prohibits attendants from accompanying competitors in any part of a race. Rules about starting follow. In the 220 and 100 yds. courses are to be marked by stakes and cords, and in the longer races a competitor may change to inside when he is two strides ahead of man crossed.

Rules concerning fouling and finishing follow. In walking a third caution shall disqualify, excepting on last 220 yds., when disqualfication may take place without cautioning. Detailed rules follow, concerning hurdles, jumping, pole-vaulting, putting shot and throwing hammer. The framers of these rules seem to have appreciated the difficulties of determining whether a bicycle race is fair or not, as they have made the rule concerning bicycling very detailed. In fact, although it is all but impossible to prevent misunderstandings in our athletic meetings of any importance, yet such misunderstandings can hardly arise through an ambiguity or vagueness in these rules, which have been framed with much care and foresight.