A New Course in History.

In his lecture in History 1 yesterday Professor Channing announced that a new course in History would be given next year by Professor Emerton. This course, which will probably take the title of History 3, is designed to be taken along with History 1. History 1 is a mere outline, which it is proposed to fill in with History 3. Professor Channing's course deals with the narrative history of the Middle Ages, while Professor Emerton's new course, while covering less ground, will go more into details, especially as regards the church, the manners and customs of the people, and the growth of literature and art. The period covered by History 3 is from the time of Charlemague to the beginning of the Reformation.

As History 14 is to be discontinued next year, History 3 will take its place in the group, although it is by no means a supplementary course to History 2. Like History 14 it will be a half course for the second half-year. Coming thus after the mid years, it may be taken to great advantage by men who are taking History 1, as that part of History 1 which proceeds the mid-years forms the ground work for History 3.

Professor Emerton intends to make his new course rather more advanced than History 1, and not so deep as the higher courses, History 9, 10, 11, and 12.