Harvard 6; Amherst 2.

Harvard defeated Amherst Saturday afternoon at Amherst in a wretchedly played game. Harvard did fairly well in the field, but her batting was very weak and her base running simply disgraceful. If she had not got a lead of four runs in the first inning, almost purely on Amherst's errors, the game would have very likely gone to the home team. Frothingham and Hovey were the only Harvard men who could do anything at the bat. The other men struck out or hit weakly to the infield. The men could not do even any sacrifice hitting. But the weakness at the bat was insignificant compared to the exhibition of base-running which the nine gave. It would have disgraced the weakest school team. In the first place, as soon as a Harvard runner got on a base it seemed to be the signal for him to show utter disregard of the coaching. The coachers in their turn got "rattled," and whenever the runners deigned to pay the slightest attention to their coaching, invariably told them to do the wrong thing. The last of the game was not so tiresome, for it began to be interesting to note what ridiculous mistake the Harvard base runners would next make.

If Harvard should, by any mistake, field well and bat fairly in the Yale game, her base-running would give the game to Yale ten times over. Harvard nines have been weak in base-running in previous years, but she has never given an exhibition as bad as the one on Saturday. It has been taken for granted all the year that Harvard could bat occasionally, but she gave a very decided proof to the contrary at Amherst. It remains to be seen whether or not the nine will learn by the game Saturday, that their play is weak at almost every point; and whether or not it will take decided measures for improvement.

Bates pitched well except in the first and eighth innings when Amherst gauged his delivery very accurately and hit him safely five times with a total of seven bases. Cobb held him fairly well, but made one tremendously wild and disastrous throw to second base, besides showing poor judgment at times in throwing to the other bases. At second Dean fumbled one grounder and then threw the ball far out of Trafford's reach. The rest of Harvard's play was medium.

The score:

HARVARD.

a.b. r. b.h. t.b. s.h. p.o. a. e.

Dean, 2b., 3 1 0 0 0 2 4 2

Hallowell, c. f., 4 0 1 1 0 2 0 0

Hovey, s. s., 4 2 2 4 0 2 2 0

Trafford, 1b., 3 1 0 0 0 12 0 0

Frothingham, r. f. 4 2 2 2 0 0 0 0

Alward, l. f., 3 0 0 0 1 1 0 0

Soule, 3b., 3 0 0 0 0 3 0 1

Cobb, c., 3 0 0 0 0 5 1 1

Bates, p., 3 0 0 0 0 0 11 0

Totals, 30 6 5 7 1 27 18 4

AMHERST.

a.b. r. b.h. t.b. s.h. p.o. a. e.

Leach, l. f., 4 0 1 1 0 0 0 1

Hunt, c., 4 0 0 0 0 7 2 0

Stearns, 2b., 4 1 0 0 0 4 2 0

Sullivan, 3b., 4 1 2 4 0 4 1 0

Cutler, r. f., 4 0 2 2 0 0 0 1

Taylor, s. s., 4 0 1 1 0 1 3 1

Cheney, 1b., 4 0 1 1 0 8 2 3

Gould, c. f., 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Hare, p., 2 0 0 0 0 0 12 1

Totals, 34 2 7 9 0 24 22 7

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 4 0 0 1 0 1 0 0-6

Amherst, 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1-2

Earned runs, Amherst 1. Two base hits, Sullivan (2). Three base hit, Hovey. Stolen bases, Dean, Trafford (2), Cutler, Cheney, Hare. First base on balls, Dean, Trafford, Hare. Struck out, Dean (2), Hovey, Frothingham, Soule (2), Bates, Leach, Hunt, Sullivan, Cheney Gould (2). Wild pitch, Hare. Time, 1h. 45 m. Umpire Upton, '93.