'Varsity Meeting.

The 'varsity spring meeting was held Saturday afternoon under the most favoring conditions. The day was perfect and the track has seldom been in better condition. A large number of spectators witnessed the sports which were admirably managed and without the tedious waits between events which often characterize athletic meetings. The games opened with the high hurdles. As K. Brown '91 did not compete, Fearing '93 ran alone, doing the 120 yards in 17 1-5 seconds.

The 2 mile bicycle race which came next proved to be the best race ever seen on Holmes Field and brought the Harvard record made by Greenleaf of 5 minutes, 59 seconds down to 5 minutes, 46 1-5 seconds. R. H. Davis '91 and Olmstead '94 did not ride so that the race was between four men, T. Barron '91, O. B. Hawes '93, F. S. Pratt '94 and G. F. Taylor '94. The first quarter was done in 43 seconds when Taylor took the lead and set the pace, making each successive lap faster than the one before it. On the turn of the last lap Pratt, by a marvellous spurt, got the lead which he held to the finish, closely pressed by Hawes and Taylor in the order given. with Barron last. All the men rode within a second of the winner, and therefore broke the record. The next event, the mile walk, was won by R. S. Hale '91, in 7 minutes, A. L. Endicott '94 second. The 440 yards dash was run in one heat, only 10 men competing, and was won by T. J. stead '91 in 53 1-5 seconds. In the preliminary heats of the 100 yards dash O. K. Hawes '92 and W. L. Thompson won with S. V. R. Thayer '94 and J. S. Cook '92 in second place; time, 10 1-2 and 10 2-5 respectively. In the final heat Cook won in 10 2-5 with Hawes second.

The only record that was broken beside that of the 2 mile bicycle race was the time for the mile run. A. M. White '92, took the lead at the start and set a smart pace, doing the first half in 2.13. The five men stuck pretty well together until the last lap when Manley '93 dropped out. On the stretch on the last turn White and Lowell broke away from Carr, M. S., and Nichols '94, and sprinted for the tape, Lowell finishing first in 4 minutes, 34 1-5 seconds, White a close second.

In the shot Finlay was the only competitor and made a put of 37 feet, 8 inches. In the hammer Evins '93, contested with Finlay, although he has not yet recovered from a severe illness. Finlay won with a throw of 94 feet, 7 inches.

In the first preliminary heat of the 220 yards dash O. K. Hawes '92 won with Wright '92 second; time, 22 4-5 seconds. In the second heat J. P. Lee '91 and Cook '92 ran a dead heat in 22 3-5 seconds. The final heat was won by Hawes in 22 3-5 seconds, with Cook second.

In the 220 yards hurdle race Lee and Fearing contested, Lee winning easily in 25 2-5 seconds, within one-fifth of a second of his own world's record.

The high jump was won by Fearing with a jump of 5 ft. 9 in., A. H. Green '92 second. Duane '92 and Chaney '94 competed.

In the broad jump were Bloss '94 and Shead '93. Bloss won with a jump of 20 feet, 10 1-2 inches.

The half mile run was one of the prettiest races of the afternoon and was won by J. R. Corbin '92 in 2 minutes, 2 3-5 seconds, Batchelder '92 second.

The sports finished with the pole vault, which was won by Wheelwright '94, with a vault of 9 ft. 2 in.