Exeter vs. Andover.

The annual Exeter-Andover baseball game will be played at Exeter next Saturday. This year the teams are unusually well matched. The material left over from last season was not at either school particularly promising; but a large number of good men entered the schools last fall, and the work during the past spring has developed both nines surprisingly. Exeter has a good pitcher in Howe and Bissell supports him in good style. Several changes have been made at third base throughout the season, but Captain Kent now fills that position.

Turner, the Andover pitcher, has great speed and has proved very effective during the past season. Rustin, Hinkey and Murphy all are first class men. When the nines are so evenly matched it is hard to predict the winner. Exeter has been slightly the favorite until lately when Andover has come up greatly. The two nines will be made up as follows: Exeter-Phelan, l. f.; Lighthall, 1b; Ewing, c. f.; Kent, 3b.; Bissell. c.; Brown, s. s.; Chamberlin, r. f.; Burleigh, 2b.; Howe, p. Andover-Rustin, s. s.; Sheffield, 3b.; Jennings, 2b.; Hinkey, r. f.; Murphy, c.; Crawford, l. f.; Millard, c. f.; Ketchum, 1b.; Turner, p.

It is probable that according to the usual custom a large number of Exeter and Andover graduates from Harvard will go up to see the game and cheer for their schools. Last year no game was played. Before that time the concerts were played regularly for years with varying results. Exeter won in 1882 with W. B. Phillips, captain of the '86 Harvard nine, playing at second base. In 1883 and 1884 Andover won. In 1885 Exeter won, 9 to 1. Kelly, later of the Harvard Medical School, was captain and pitcher. W. D. Clark, Harvard '89, was third base, with S. B. Morison, the Yale half-back, on first, McClung, captain of the Yale eleven for next year, as catcher, and Cook, the big Princeton foot ball rusher in centre field. Noyes, who was captain of the Yale nine in '89, was short stop on the Andover team that year.

The next year, 1886, Exeter won again, 7 to 6, after a most exciting game. McClung was catcher again; as he was in all four years of his course at Exeter. Wurtenburg, later a Yale half-back, was short-stop, and Dana, now captain of the Princeton nine, was centre field.

In 1887 Andover went to Exeter and gave her crushing defeat, 22 to 6. Exeter's pitcher gave 17 bases on balls. In 1888 Andover won after a close game, 6 to 4. Upton '93, played short stop on Andover that year. In 1889, Trafford '93, and Upton '93, caught respectively for Exeter and Andover, and Soule '93, played short stop for Exeter. Exeter won, 3 to 2. It was in this game that Trafford got through several water buckets, a couple of benches and the scorers' stand in time to make a wonderful foul catch.