Crews.

It is not surprising perhaps that there is a great extent of feeling to the effect that our University crew will be an easy winner this year at New London. Every one of the last crew, even the substitutes, are back in the University this year, and so far as able each is willing to row. This of course to the public at large seems conclusive for the success of the year. But often a serious talk with those who are in positions to know the real condition of things, one cannot help feeling quite different. In fact the impression is almost diametrically opposite from the former. In some respects the outlook is quite discouraging. Several of the best men will not be able to row at all if we can judge from the present outlook, and there are fears that some of the men from last year's freshman crew will not be able to row.

Powers, stroke of the crew last year, is sick with peritonitisi; Vail who rowed at 6 received so severe an injury playing foot ball that doctors have said that he would be unable to row this year; Lynam, No. 4, in the last crew, is so occupied with his studies in the Medical School that there are grave doubts that he will be able to row; No. 2 was Captain Perkins. It will be remembered that late in the spring he so injured his arm that he could not row till within a few days of the race. The condition of his arm is such that he will not row except at the risk of injuring the elbow joint for life. Waters, perhaps the strongest man in his freshman crew last year, was over-trained at foot ball this year, and there has seemed to be no prospect of his becoming a candidate this year for the 'varsity. Bond rowed 7 in the same boat. At present he is in a delicate state of health. Bartholomay, who has been rowing all the autumn, has not shown up yet to row since the recess. He is suffering from the grip. Truly this is not a pleasant condition of things. However, no time is lost with the men who can row, and every effort will be made to make the best crew possible out of what material there is.

Since the Christmas recess the 'varsity has rowed all the time in the tank. The number of candidates is sixteen and they have been arranged lately as follows: One, crew stroke Ninde '93; 7, Rantoul '92; 6, Cummings '93; 5, Kelton '93; 4, Bond '94; 3, Newell '94; 2, Acton M. S.; bow, Cauthorn G. Other crew. - Stroke, Weed '92; 7, Saltonstall '94; 6, Slade '93; 5, Williams '94; 4, Grant '95; 3, Blake '94; 2, Hickman L. S.; bow, De Rochemont '94.

The men all seem to be cheerful and very hard workers. They will do all they can to represent the University in a creditable manner at New London, in spite of any and all discouragements.