University Extension in the West.

The idea of University Extension is becoming more and more prevalent throughout the country and with the spreading of the idea new dignity and importance are being attached to the movement itself. The people of the West have begun to take an active interest in the cause and this interest has shown itself in the formation of the Chicago Society for University Extension. Prominent citizens of Chicago together with the State Universities of Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin, the Northwestern University, Lake Forest University, Beloit College, the University of Chicago and Wabash College, have united their efforts and organized on a co-operative bases like that of the New York and London Societies. The officers chosen were Franklin M. Head, president; Mrs. Charles Henrotin, vice-president; Franklin Mac Veagh Yale '62 treasurer, and C. N. Zeublin, Yale '89, L. S., secretary. The president and two members of the faculty of each institution form the joint university board. The society is open to any one on the payment annually of five dollars. Eighty-five lecture courses, each consist of six lectures, and sixty lecturers have been announced in a recently issued circular. The society intends to establish extension centres in Chicago and at other points in Illinois and the adjacent States.