A Letter from Brooke Herford.

At chapel yesterday morning Professor Lyon read the following letter from Brooke Herford. Dr. Herford wrote the letter from Boston just before he left for New York to take the steamer. The letter speaks so warmly to every Harvard man that Professor Lyon has kindly allowed it to be printed:

BOSTON, January 21, 1892."In sending you back the key of No. 1 Wadsworth House, I feel almost as if I were giving up 'the keys of the kingdom,' for it has been one of the happiest works of my life which has centered there and at Appleton Chapel. I wish you would some day express to any of the men whom you meet my sense of the very manly and cordial reception which I always found among them, and the earnest hearing which made every morning service an inspiration and delight to me. I shall hope to meet many of these unknown friends, or half-known friends, again; and mean-while, on the eve of sailing away into an untried future, I could not help writing this little farewell, as I thought of this - one of the happiest elements of my past."