Prof. Putnam's Archaeological and Ethnological Expeditions.

Under the direct charge of Prof. F. W. Putnam as curator of the Peabody Museum and, and chief of the department of Archaeology and Ethnology for the World's Columbian Exposition, more work relating to American Archaeology and Ethnology is being carried on at the present time than ever before. One of the most important expeditions is that sent recently by the Museum to Honduras to investigate the ancient ruins within the borders of that republic. The government of Honduras has given these ruins into the charge of the Peabody Museum for ten years with the exclusive right of exploration and the permission to take away one-half of the objects found during the excavations. This is the most important archaeological work ever undertaken by any institution in America, and if carried on as planned will give most valuable results. The committee in charge of this investigation hopes to send an expedition every year. as, owing to the climate only about six months work can be done each year, at an annual expense of about $10,000. Professor Putnam expects to see Honduras become as great a school for American Archaeology as the school of Athens is today for classical archaeology.

Besides this expedition, the results of which will be exhibited at the World's Fair, Professor Putnam has charge of sev