Harvard's New Shell.

Davy, the Cambridge boat builder, has already started on the frame of the shell for this year's 'varsity crew. The lines of last year's boat will be reproduced but there will be several new features, the principal result or which will be to make the shell lighter. The first point where a new idea comes in is in the space between the gunwale and the "rising." This piece of wood, which is parallel with the gunwale, usually stops at the cockpit but in the new plan it is carried to the end of the boat. Then the gunwale is to be made five pounds lighter. A thin brace is to be fixed across the square spaces and next to the ribs of the craft, which will more than make up the loss in strength. The gain, structurally speaking, will be in the greater stiffness of the craft, which is in itself a great consideration and also will allow for a thinner skin than would otherwise be needed. Here is where the big reduction in weight comes. This difference is expected to be between fifteen and twenty pounds, which with the saving on the gunwale and rising will bring the weight of the boat to about two hundred and thirty pounds. This probably, will be the lightest eight-oared shell ever made.