Glee Club Trip.

The Musical Clubs have a Very Enjoyable and Successful Trip.

One story would be sufficient to describe the main features of all the Western Trips the Glee Club has ever taken. One company of forty men from college does not differ much from another such company; both have the same light heartedness, both enjoy the same things, both live in much the same way. Yet in the details of these trips-and the details really give them their local character-there is a vast difference. The following then, will be a sort of elaborated itinerary of a journey of about twenty nine hundred miles, with special attention to the points in which this journey differs from others of the same kind.

The Clubs left Cambridge Thursday morning, Dec 22, in time for the eleven o'clock tram for New York on the Boston and Albany. Though they had no such evidence of the support and good wishes of the college as the athletic teams receive on similar occasions, they felt that they really had those good wishes and that their place as representatives of Harvard was quite as responsible as that of the athletic teams. For half an hour before train time men with bags. +++ mandolins, coats, umbrellas, c n s and hat boxes, came straggling into the station on Kneeland Street much to the wonder of by standers who had never been just such a "troupe" before. When the gates were opened there was a stampede for the special car. The itineraries provided by the Pennsylvania Railroad were given out, several to each man, just before eleven and at each stop as far as Springfield the men crowded about the mail boxes to send word to their relatives and friends where they would be on certain days. By the way, it was surprisingly noticeable throughout the thirteen days that no man was half a man who could not find at least two cousins in each city.

Lunches were served in boxes after the train left Worcester. The new men had an air about them of quiet enjoyment; they seemed to feel that they were just entering the easiest task of a lifetime. The old men realized that they had a hard time before them and many of them slept most of the day. The Wah Hoos elected officers for one year and then the car was fairly quiet. At New York the clubs weat right to the Fifth Avenue Hotel. J. Wendell '91 met the fellows there and made them feel at home After the Concert at Chickering Hall there was a reception at the Harvard Club where graduates and undergraduates sang Fair Harvard to the merry click of glasses. Every body had a fine time.

Next morning at eleven the men left for Philadelphia, two and a half hours away. Here they stopped the Colonade which was very near the Hall where the concert was to be given. Mr. H. K. Caner '89 gave a dinner to the Banjo Club at his home on Walnut St. Invitations came about three o'clock from the Union League Club, to a reception in honor of Hon. Robert T. Lincoln. Minister to England. Most of the men had made other engagements but those who went to the reception were certainly amply rewarded. The Club house is magnificent and the members are most cordial. After this reception, the men went to a tea at Mr. Rawle's. From the concert Friday evening the fellows went right to the train where they had the first taste of the unpleasant side of the +++. The porter had not been warned that be would do well to make up some of the berths beforehand. When the crowd came poring in on him he was overwhelmed with demands. The electric service of the car was allowed no sleep: bells were singing incessambly. The train was an hour late in starting so the men had a masquerade ball and athletic games on the station platform. Pink, red, and blue bath robes were in order together with dress suits and users. It was a weird spectacte and caused no end of amusement. Finally the train started. The rattle-brained porter became more and more perplexed and even the mildest natures in the car used their superlative expressions very freely. About midnight, after a storm of boots and valises, and the flow of oratory and wit. things quieted down a bit, the last few pairs of feet disappeared behind the curtains the e were a few last groans of dissatisfaction and the first night on the cars fairly began.

Saturday morning when the first call for breakfast came, the train was crawling along through a heavy snow storm in the region of Johnstown. As it was no scheduled to arrive till 6.15 and was then about two hours late the officers of the Clubs began to be anxious about arriving in time for the concert. As the day went by the train fell behind more and more. Telegrams were sent to Columbus, Ohio, for a special train from there to Cincinnati, and to the manager of the concert asking him to hold the audience as long as possible. The first telegram did not reach the Railroad Superintendent whose office was closed while he was at supper. When the train go to Columbus no one had heard of a special train. Again the mildest natures had a chance to say their bluest words. There was no hing to do but dismiss the audience by telegram and continue on the regular train. This the club did and at eleven o'clock, a dejected, disgusted, worn-out crowd dragged their baggage through the dingy station and out into the smoky night. At he Burnet House, a Harvard graduate was waiting to take the fellows to the University Club for a dinner. Those who could drag their feet after one another accepted; the rest retired. The dinner was very pleasant and the flow of merry champagne soon warmed out the disappointment. Sunday it snowed. Some of the men went to Church for the Christmas music. The officers spent the day in trying to make arrangements for a concert Tuesday. As may readily be imagined, this was not an ideal Christmas and many a man heartly wished himself home.

Sunday night at eight the clubs boarded a sleeper for an all night ride to Cleveland. Breakfast was waiting at the "Hollenden" where they were to stop till Tuesday morning. R. E. Phillips of the Glee Club gave a luncheon and sleigh ride to six fellows. At about four. thirty men went to a feast at Mrs. Edward's on Prospect Street. That tea will long be remembered. Cleveland is distinctly a Yale town but every body was glad to give Harvard a chance and Harvard accepted its chance in earnest. There was more cordiality in the treatment of the clubs here than in some Harvard places which were visited. The concert in the evening was a great success even in the estimation of the Yale contingency. After the concert the men renewed their late made acquaintances at the Annual Ball of the Union Club. The late hours were beginning to tell and the black lies and tired looks showed that the Trip had taken on more or less of the character of work. By this time the concert in Cincinnati had been arranged.

H. A. C.(Continued in tomorrow's Crimson.)