Foot Ball.

Harvard 26; Amherst 0.

Harvard scored only seventeen points in two twenty-minute halves against the Exeter Academy team yesterday afternoon. Exeter brought down a very good team. Her centre was very fairly strong and her whole rush line play was much quicker than Harvard's. The two backs, Thomas and Haradon, made some excellent rushes, and seemed to find little difficulty in going through the centre of Harvard's line and occasionally around the ends.

Harvard played a rushing game throughout, and at this Gray did some excellent work. He starts off very quickly and keeps well on his feet. The play of Harvard's backs was the only thing that won the game, for the rush-line work was abomniably weak from start to finish. Newell and Emmons were the only men who played in anything like 'varsity form. The ends were very slow in getting down on the ball, and Exeter's backs repeatedly went through the centre.

The teams lined up as follows:

Bond, (end) Linscott.

Newell, (tackle) Mayo.

Berry, (guard) Squires.

Shea, (centre) McIntosh.

Rantoul, (centre) McIntosh.

Vail, (guard) Booth.

Grant, (tackle) Haradon.

Emmons, (tackle) Lewis.

Collamore, (end) Conly.

Burgess, (quarter-back) Ramsay.

Lake, (half-backs) Matthews

Gray. (half-backs) (Haradon)

Thomas.

Trafford, (full-back) Whitehead.

Harvard had the ball. Several successive rushes by Lake and Gray took the ball well towards Exeter's goal line, and Lake ran around the right end for the first touch-down after four minutes of play. No goal.

Exeter could not gain after the ball was put in play, and Whitehead punted. Lake and Gray again advanced the play to Exeter's 30yd. line. Harvard's rushers did no blocking off whatever, and Lake could not gain. On the third down Burgess passed the ball to Trafford who kicked a pretty goal from the field. Score, 9-0.

Exeter began the play from the center of the field with a great deal of snap, and steadily gained ground through the centre and around the left end. Whitehead and Thomas did most of the ground gaining with an occasional rush by Haradon.

The ball was Exeter's on Harvard's 15 yard line, but the Academy team could make no further ground and preferred to lose the ball on four downs rather than kick. Gray and Lake did some good work. and then Trafford punted to the centre of the field, Vail broke through and made 15 yards with the ball. Burgess then worked his backs to good effect through the right end of the rush-line and took the play well down the field towards Exeter's line. Lake made the touch down. No goal.

The second half was uninteresting. Exeter's backs found some big holes in Harvard's line, and kept the play so well away from their goal that it was only towards the end that Harvard scored. Lake made the touch down. No goal. Score, 17-0.

J. S. Cranston was referee and A. T. Dudley, '87, was umpire.