The Freshman Eleven.

The candidates for the Freshman eleven this year exceeded in numbers those of previous years, but were some-what inferior in playing ability. An unusual lack of heavy men existed. Now that the players have been selected for the various positions, to a certain extent, it is possible to form a definite idea of the team's ability.

The men have gradually improved on the defensive, but still fail to charge their opponents and lack dash and aggressiveness. They are indifferent to the gains of opponents and are lamentably weak in following the ball. Low and hard tackling is the exception rather than the rule. The offense has only recently been taken up in a systematic manner and it is consequently still ineffective. The backs run slowly and interfere high and the linemen fail to open holes cleanly and at the proper time. The plays are slow and loose and lack the force which would exist if every man's energy were exerted at the right moment. Nevertheless, if the men continue to grasp the principles of football as rapidly as they have in the past ten days, they will undoubtedly form, at the end of the season, a reliable but not brilliant team, and one which will not be below the standard of previous years.

The team may be criticized individually as follows:

Baldwin, captain and quarterback, plays a brilliant defensive game and uses his strength to advantage when tackling. On the offensive, however, he is slow in giving the signals and often fails to put out an opposing tackler.

Clark, right end, is light and plays hard football, but he fails to force his way through closely-knit interference and often allows the runner to go outside of him. His interference is generally good although he often runs high and slowly.

Bowditch, left end, has improved rapidly and plays a heady, fast game, but he is still uncertain in his tackling.

Knowlton, right tackle, is a new man with the squad but shows promise of becoming a steady, safe player.

Fox, right tackle, plays too high and lacks dash and surety, but will be a reliable man when he learns to use his weight and strength. He is still slow in interference and makes frequent mistakes in signals.

Nickerson, left tackle, seems to have lost the dash he showed earlier in the season. He plays too high and is too easily blocked off.

McGrew, left tackle, does not charge well and lacks confidence in himself. He fails to run low in the interference.

Riggs, right guard, plays with commendable determination, but utterly fails at times to keep his opponent out of the play or to meet the opposing backs before they reach the line. He is too often drawn in.

Wright, left guard, is a little light for his position, but is improving in his defensive play. He is still put out of the plays too easily, does not cover enough ground and is weak in the interference.

Graydon, left guard, is strong but does not use his strength or weight to advantage. He is new to his position and will improve rapidly when he acquires confidence in himself.

Sugden, centre, is heavy and slow. He fails to use his weight in backing up plays directed at other points in the line and does not follow the ball consistently. His passing is very erratic.

Daly, quarterback, lacks judgment in selecting his plays and is not sure in his tackling and backfield work. He runs so slowly that his interference loses effectiveness.

Stillman, fullback, is an average kicker, but he is apt to fumble and in rushing strikes the line without the force which his weight should warrant. He has not yet learned the duties of a rush line halfback and is uncertain in the backfield.

Derby, right halfback, is handicapped by an injury, but plays a spirited game. He runs too high and is weak in backing up the line on the defense. He is improving rapidly, however, and should make a good man.

Knowles, left halfback, is fast on his feet, but fails to gain his distance when tackled. His defensive play is uncertain and he is still drawn in too much on end plays.

Hersey, left halfback, runs entirely too high and, for this reason, his interference and work on the defense are weak. But he is now showing more dash and spirit than heretofore