Football.

HARVARD, 32. CHICAGO A. C., 0.

In spite of a dismal, chilling rain that kept up more or less constantly during the practice of the 'varsity football squad yesterday afternoon, the men, for the most part, put considerable snap into their work.

During the first part of the time the first eleven and a few of the substitutes went through the signals and practiced the interference. The others practiced kicking and catching punts. P. W. Whittemore '95 came out for the first time and played back on the first eleven. Water and Mackie both took their regular places, and Waters played the entire time. Mackie played only a few minutes.

When the first and second elevens lined up for the last twenty minutes of the practice the 'varsity started with the ball and within two minutes Wrightington, aided by good interference, made a run of forty - five yards and a touchdown. Four touchdowns were made in all. Wrenn continued his good work at quarterback and whenever the second eleven had the bail broke through and tackled well. The interference of the first eleven was very good, but the defensive work of the second eleven was weak, with the exception of one or two times when they held their ground fairly well. The elevens lined up in the following order:

FIRST ELEVEN. SECOND ELEVEN.

A. Brewer. r. e. l. e., Seaver.

Waters, r. t. l. t., Holmes.

Mackie, Murchie, r. g. l. g. Warren.

F. Shaw, Winslow, c. c. Doucette.

J. N. Shaw, l. g. r. g. Hoague.

Hallowell, Manahan, l. t. r. t., Hovey, Bennett.

Emmons, l. e. r. e. Gierarch.

Wrenn, Beale, q. b. q. b., Beale, Foster.

C. Brewer, Gonterman, h.b. h. b., Knox.

Wrightington, Hayes, h, b. h. b., Manning.

Hamlen, Whittemore, f. b. f. b., Jackson.

The Cornell Game.The members of the 'varsity squad who are going to New York to play Cornell will take the four o'clock train today from the Boston and Albany station. The barge will leave the square at three o'clock.

Ninety - Seven Eleven.Ninety - seven got in some good practice yesterday in spite of the rain. There were not enough men to form two elevens, so that not much could be done except practicing the signals and improving the team play. One eleven was formed and the sixteen or eighteen men who were out took turns at playing. The men did not seem able to form any sort of interference, except when playing with the ends or tackles back of the line. The eleven as a whole did not follow the ball, leaving that part of the work almost entirely to the backs. Several times the men practiced forming to receive a kick - off, and interfering for the man who caught the ball. One thing very noticeable was the lack of snap in most of the play. However, with two full elevens, the work would probably have been much better.

Ninety - Five vs. Ninety - Eight.Toward the close of the afternoon '95 and '98 lined up for a short practice game. Ninety - eight got the ball on the kick - off and in a very few minutes had rushed the ball across the line. Though '98 was the lighter team, it made several good gains through ninety - five's centre. Then '95 took the ball and, on a few short rushes and a long run around the end, also scored. Both touchdowns were more the result of individual play than of good team work.

Neither side scored after that. The ball was kept near the centre of the field and mostly in ninety - eight's territory. There was considerable punting and, as the ball was very slippery, much fumbling by both elevens. During the latter part of the game Newell '98 sprung his collar bone and had to retire. He will not be out again till the last of next week.