None

No Headline

WE are glad to see that Dr. Sargent intends to continue his class in gymnastics this year, for the large number who joined it last winter showed conclusively how much it was wanted. It is a well known fact that physical exercise is needed to offset mental work, especially in the winter when there is less chance for outdoor sports. There is a large body of men in college, outside of those who are trying for the various athletic teams who take little exercise, chiefly because of the discouraging monotony of gymnasium work. During the fall and spring, when the tennis courts can be used and the Weld Boat Club is open, this difficulty is overcome and there is a variety and pleasure in outdoor exercise. But it requires not a little will power to keep up a constant attendance at the gymnasium when the work there consists of a dull routine of exercise on various machines with no definite object in view, and many a man gives it up after the first week. And yet this exercise is greatly needed.

It was to remedy this difficulty that Dr. Sargent instituted last year his class in gymnastics, - to afford a means for regular exercise varied and interesting as well as beneficial. The result has been very satisfactory: he has arranged a series of exercises very different from the monotonous chest weights and Indian Clubs, he conducts them himself and holds them at a late hour in the afternoon when it is convenient for nearly all men. Considering, therefore, how well the class has answered the purpose we would recommend students who are not training for any special object to join it.