The Monthly.

Professor Barrett Wendell contributes the principal paper to the April number of the Monthly entitled "Some Neglected Characteristics of the New England Puritans." The article is a valuable addition to the literature on New England Puritans through the considerable study it shows on the subject and the many noteworthy points of interest it brings to bear. Mr. Wendell brings out especially the characteristic of self curiosity which possessed the Puritans to a large degree. "The Earl of Surrey" by W. G. Howard is an interesting review of Surrey in the two aspects of cavalier and author. Surrey was by means a great poet, but he wrote some charming sonnets, noted chiefly for their mastery of form. He is especially interesting because, as the writer says, he was in many senses the forerunner of Spenser, to whom he transmitted the eclogue. "Madonna Mia" is a charming character sketch, written in the characteristic style of the authoress. There is a simplicity and impulsiveness attached to the little French girl that is very interesting and makes one wish that the authoress would try her hand oftener at such sketches. "Imaginative" by John Cummings is not up to the usual standard of the writer's former articles. He attempts to define and explain the distinction between fancy and imagination, and considering the difficulty of the undertaking he succeeds fairly well, though he offers nothing new. Two communications from Oxford by C. H. C. Wright and Louis Dyer throw an interesting light on affairs there and are valuable for that reason. The former gives a very good idea of what advantages the Harvard graduate can find at Oxford.

The editorial of the number deals with the proposed building for the religious societies. Of the verse "Verses" is poetical in thought but not quite so in form as it shows perhaps a little crudeness in composition. Two sonnets, "Art in Man" and " Music" are the best, written in a thoughtful mood and well executed.