Athletic Notes.

The gymnasium is just beginning to take on an aspect of activity. None of the teams are as yet at work, except the new candidates for the 'varsity crew and the candidates for the freshman crew, but the floor is crowded every afternoon from four until nearly six o'clock.

Dr. Sargent is continuing the class in light gymnastics which he began last year, and has from seventy-five to one hundred and fifty every afternoon. This class, by the way, is an excellent thing for any who are not members of any team and do not desire to work by themselves. Just after Christmas there will be several classes begun in light tumbling, parallel bars, and flying rings. These classes are designed for beginners as well as for men who have already had practice.

Of the various teams, the baseball candidates will be called out soon after Christmas. As soon as the new candidates are thinned out, the members of last year's nine will begin work. The batteries will begin work rather early. The prospects of a good nine are bright as all of last year's men are back. Hovey, however, is not expected to play. Among other candidates for his position will be Sullivan of last year's nine and Abbot, an old Dartmouth player.

The Mott Haven team will begin as usual just after Christmas. Last winter there were over two hundred candidates and more than that number will try this year. Of last year's team all are back but Cook, G. F. Brown, O. K. Hawes, G. L. Batchelder, G. Lowell, A. H. Green, W. N. Duane, S. H. Evins, and R. H. Davis. The severest loss was that of Evins who won ten points at New York last spring.