Vesper Services.

Rev. Dr. Everett conducted the Vesper service yesterday and spoke to a fair sized audience, from the text, "Lord, I believe, help thou mine unbelief." Dr. Everett said: There are men today who are just as ardent, just as trustful in their faith in God, as there were in the days of martyrdom. Again there are men who are perfectly sincere in their belief, that there is nothing in the idea of a God who watches and cares for the mortals on the earth. But there is a third class, in whose hearts the cry of the poor father for a strengthening of his faith, would find a ready response. They are among those who have a sort of faith in God, but whose belief is so small as to be of little comfort to them. The great cry of our generation is "I do not know." This lack of strong conviction is found in spiritual things as well as in temporal. The text found in the epistle to James. - "if there be not the works of faith, there is no faith," is not always helpful. As a help to your faith, suppose the preacher is so powerful and so eloquent that you leave the church absolutely faithless. Ask yourself if the world outside does not seem infinitely narrower, vastly changed; if the atmosphere is not heavier, and the clouds duller. Ask if you do not feel a lack in your heart which used to lend a certain elasticity to life which is now gone. If all this seems true then you may know that you have faith. Jesus said if you have faith "even as a grain of mustard seed" you should be saved. But a mustard seed to grow must be planted, and a faith to be helpful must be tried.

The choir sang the following anthems: "Sing Alleluia forth" - Buck; "Seek ye the Lord" - Roberts; Solo "His salvation is nigh." - Sterndale Bennett. The soloist was Mr. George W. Want.