Columbia Freshman Crew.

The Columbia freshman crew that has just gone to New London is about the same style of crew that the college has sent there for some years past. A very light, "sandy" lot of men that do not row in anything like the form of a Harvard or Yale crew. These men are, therefore, not to be judged so much from the way they row as the speed they get out of their boat and the amount of endurance there is in the men. They started the year with but few candidates to pick from and very little coaching, but now they are at New London great improvement is looked for.

They are quartered as usual at Gales Ferry, next to the Yale boat house, and have about ten days more to row before they meet Harvard and Yale. They are rowing a quick stroke this year, even going as high as thirty-eight to the minute. The watermanship and blade work is very good and the body work is all that saves them from being a fairly fast crew. Ragged as they are, they have made some good time already.

The men are as follows: Bow, Pressbuch; 2, Randolph; 3, Putnam; 4, Dobbins; 5, Prentice; 6, Loew; 7, Peck; stroke, Pierrepont; coxswain, Bull; O'connor, Cary and Bissell, substitutes.