Cook and the Yale Crew.

It has been stated that Captain Hartwell of the Yale crew met Mr. Robert Cook in Philadelphia, at which meeting Mr. Cook said that he would be unable to coach the Yale crew this year.

The New York World states the matter as follows: "The greatest blow has just been made public by Capt. Hartwell, that Bob Cook has positively declared that he cannot come up to New Haven this year. This is an old story, but it is well known that Cook said last year that his coaching days would end with the '91 crew. He has recently told Hartwell that it will be utterly impossible for him to leave his business this year to come to New Haven."

In an account headed, "A Rumor that Comes Once a Year," the New York Su says:

"Just what Cook told Hartwell only Cook and Hartwell know. When Hartwell returned to New Haven, however, he stated that Bob Cook, owing to a press of business, would not be able to coach the Yale crew this year.

Capt. Cook corroborated Hartwell's statement today. He said to a Sun representative that he did not see how he could possibly devote any attention to the crew of '92."

And again, "Prominent Yale men do not believe that Capt. Cook has severed his connection with the Yale navy."