Lawrence Scientific School.

The report of Professor N. S. Shaler, Dean of the Scientific School, brings out clearly the remarkable growth of the school. In 1887, only fourteen students were registered; in the present year there are one hundred and eighty-one. The school offers the unusual advantages of combining a measure of academic culture with a thorough training in some branch of science, and it is to the wide dissemination of this fact that the increase in the school is mainly due. Moreover, special effort is made to adapt instruction to the individual student, and to place him in a situation at the end of the course adapted to his abilities.

Within the year, eight new scholarships have been established, and these are of particular value, as they can be assigned to students immediately upon entrance into the school. In its present condition, the school offers peculiar opportunities to those who seek a technical education of high grade at the least possible cost.

To the list of courses there has been one very important addition, - the course in Physical training. It aims to provide a training for those who intend to study medicine, to fit men to take charge of gymnasiums, and to afford systematic instruction in exercise and hygiene to students who may need special care of their health. The applications which have already been made for admission to the course are numerous, and shows that it is likely to meet a need.

There have also been important additions to the resources of the school. The Rotch Electrical Laboratory was begun in 1891, and completed in time to be used by the summer school of last year. A laboratory for the course in Physical Training has been established on the lower floor of Lawrence Hall, and a grant of one thousand dollars from the income of the school has made it possible to fit this with apparatus.