First Winter Meeting.

The first event on Saturday's programme was the light-weight wrestling. At 2.15 o'clock, T. C. Craig, '87, and A. T. Dudley, '87, took the floor. After a short but hard struggle, Dudley got his arms about his opponent's neck and won the fall. Time, 30s. In the second round, Dudley lifted Craig off his feet but could not get him on his back. A moment later Craig got a body hold on Dudley and threw him, the latter striking heavily on his side. The bout was given to Craig. Time, 3.50.

F. S. Churchill, '86, and W. F. Austin, '89, next appeared, and after a hard struggle, Churchill started his man toward the floor when the latter, by a quick and skillful movement swung from under and rolled Churchill on his back. Time, 3.15.

Craig and Dudley next appeared for their third round, Dudley evidently none the better for his severe fall in the second round. After some three minutes work, in which neither seemed to get any decided advantage, they locked and fell together against one of the benches, Dudley striking his head. Upon this last misfortune Dudley was obliged to withdraw and the fall and bout were given to Craig. Time, 4m.

The second round between Churchill and Austin was won by Churchill in 3m. 50s. The third round between these two men was won by Austin in 9m. 30s. Both men were a long time in getting a hold; their manoeuvres being oftentimes amusing if not exciting. At the beginning of the round Austin almost had his man, but Churchill, by a surprisingly quick roll, saved himself.

For the middle-weight wrestling, the entries were W. J. Bowen, '87, and S. P. Jones, '88. Both men are strong and quick, and for three minutes did some lively work, when Jones was obliged to withdraw, having injured his right arm by a fall outside the mat.

D. C. Clark, '86, and D. B. Chamberlain, '86, were the contestants in putting the shot. Each man had six tries. Clark's first put was 35ft. 3in. and Chamberlain's 37ft. Clark's best was 35ft. 11in. and Chamberlain's 37ft. 10 1 2in., thus giving him the event and breaking the inter-collegiate record of 37ft. 10in. Mr. R. D. Smith explained that probably this record would not be allowed to stand as the rules of the Inter-collegiate Association demand a solid iron shot instead of the leather covered substitute used.

The great event of the afternoon was the middle-weight sparring between G. R. Ashe, '87, and I. R. Thomas, '88. Thomas is twenty pounds heavier and a little shorter than Ashe, who is of very slight build. The first round was opened by Ashe with a smart blow on Thomas' face; in return getting a couple of body blows. Both men were evidently saving themselves for the last two rounds. Time was called with the round in Ashe's favor. Thomas began work in the second, evidently trying to make his superior weight and strength tell by beating down his opponent, and although he got in some heavy one's, Ashe managed to give a number of telling face blows. The third round was opened by a determined effort on Thomas' part and several body blows reached their mark, but Ashe's hard blows were struck on Thomas' face and their effect was more noticeable. In the midst of some hot work time was called, and the referee announced that "although very close, the bout is given to Mr. Ashe."

The final bout in the light-weight wrestling between Craig and Austin was the only really tedious event on the programme. First one and then the other seemed to have the advantage but without any effect. After numerous holds had been taken and broken the judge gave them a lock hold and Craig was quickly thrown. Time, 15m. The second round was finished in about one third the time of the first, Austin getting a firm hold around Craig's body and easily throwing him, thus winning the bout.

The heavy and feather weight wrestling were walkovers for J. J. Colony, L. S., and A. T. Dudley, '87, respectively. W. J. Bowen, '87, withdrew from the former and there was no other entry in the latter.

The last event of the afternoon was the tug-of-war between the teams of '88 and '89. It was, to say the least, a very tame affair. '88 got the drop by about two inches and by three or four heaves during the allotted five minutes, managed to gain four inches more. The freshmen were unable to gain an inch and time was called with '88 in possession of six inches of rope. The two teams were composed as follows: '88, 1. E. A. Pease, 2. J. R. Purdon, 3. P. Chase, anchor, F. G. Balch; '89, 1. G. L. Hunter, 2. W. L. Munro. 3. W. G. Rantoul, anchor, G. Perry.

The officers of the meeting were: judge, Mr. C. H. Kip; judge of wrestling, Mr. W. A. Gaston; referee of sparring, Mr. John Boyle O'Reilly; judges of sparring, Dr. Wm. Appleton, Mr. Robert Bacon.