Mr. Bolles's Pamphlet.

We have received a copy of the second annual edition of a pamphlet entitled, "Harvard University. A brief statement of what Harvard University is, how it may be entered and how its degrees may be obtained. By Frank Bolles, Secretary of Harvard University." In a prefatory note the object of the pamphlet is described as follows:

"This descriptive statement is designed to answer, in a less formal way than the annual Catalogue answers them, many of the questions which the intelligent public ask concerning Harvard University and its ways and means."

The book is exactly what the sub-title implies and, after giving a general statement of what the University is as a whole and in parts, the college Scientific and Graduate Schools and the six Professional Schools are discussed separately. A list of the requirements for admission is given and chapters are devoted to information about the Summer Schools, the Astronomical Observatory, the Library, the Laboratories, the Museums, Religious Exercises of the University, the Lecture-rooms and their Uses, the Athletic Buildings and Fields, and Prizes. In the Conclusion, a table of the schools and colleges from which men have entered Harvard is given along with some statistics regarding the growth of the University since 1871.

The information given in the pamphlet is of an interesting and valuable sort and there is no doubt that a judicious distribution of it would be productive of great results for the University.