Higher Degrees at Princeton.

A committee of the faculty at Princeton, which for over a year has been considering the subject of Higher Degrees, has at last decided upon a system which, it is expected, will develop a body of graduate students some studying for the Master's and others for the Doctor's degree.

One of the principal changes is in regard to the degree of A. M. Instead of giving this degree three years after graduation to any graduate who has been engaged in professional studies as formerly, according to the new plan, it will be given at the end of one year devoted exclusively to graduate study at Princeton. At the end of three years however, an applicant may obtain this degree upon submitting to the faculty a satisfactory dissertation of not less than five thousand words, upon some literary, philosophical or scientific subject. In the requirements for the degree of Master of Science, no important change has been made.

The degree of Ph. D., in the future, will require residence in Princeton, except in a few cases where the candidates have pursued their studies in other universities, as in Germany or England. Applications from such men, however, will be considered on their merits.

All men applying for a Doctor's degree must be able to read ordinary French and German, while in the departments of Philosophy and Literature, applicants must not only be able to read ordinary Latin, but must have some knowledge of the out-lines of general history.