Mr. Rich's Pamphlet.

Mr. Edgar J. Rich, a former managing editor of the CRIMSON and at present a practising lawyer of Boston, has sent us a pamplet entitled "A Fundamental Principle of Political Economy." It is an "examination of a so-called economic fallacy" and Mr. Rich's purpose, as he explains it in an introductory note, is to state as concisely as clearness permits a proposition which he believes to be fundamental in the science of political economy - a proposition which is declared false and absurd by almost every reputable political economist.

The proposition is this: A cause of industrial depression is too rigid economy on the part of the individuals of a community - an economy which is induced by a desire to purchase interest-yielding investments.

On three separate occasions the question has been discussed by the Harvard Finance Club and, although at first it was very severely and adversely criticised, at length many of the ablest men in the club were won over to Mr. Rich's point of view. The paper is now put forth in the belief that the truth of the proposition will be admitted and its far-reaching application to theoretical and applied economics will be recognized. The pamphlet is published by the author at 517 Exchange Building, Boston.