Young Men's Christian Association.

Professor Morgan addressed the Y. M. C. A. last night on the early Christians as described in the classics. He said: There are but four passages in the really classical works that mention the Christians at all. The first is in a letter of Pliny to the Emperor Trajan. Pliny was the governor of the province of Bethinia and had been much troubled by certain men possessed of a strange and criminal superstition, a belief in a certain Christus who had been crucified by Pontius Pilate. Pliny had executed all men who said that they were Christians, but he was in great doubt as to what to do with those who had been Christians and then had repented of their folly. Other passages relative to the Christians are found in Tacitus, describing the persecutions of Nero; in Suetonius, and in Lucian. The latter speaks of their devotion to each other, and explains how any sharper might easily set himself up as a prophet and receive no small income from the contributions of these poor fanatics. He tells a story of Peregrimes, a man whose object in life was to become notorious. Among other follies this man became a Christian. He was so clever that he soon took the lead of all officers of the church, interpreted many books, and wrote many others. Finally he was made a bishop; then he broke some of the Christians' laws, and was expelled from the brotherhood.

Afterwards a business meeting was held to determine the society's opinion as to whether a new building should be strictly for religious societies or not. After much discussion the following resolution was adopted:

Resolved, That it is the sense of this meeting that the proposed building be for the religious interests of the university and for any other purposes which may not interfere with these interests; but that none but religious societies be given a permanent home therein.