New Preparatory School for Yale.

Yale has been exceedingly fortunate in its latest acquisition - that of Mr. E. G. Coy of Phillips Andover Academy, as head master for the new Yale preparatory school in Salisbury, Conn. The importance of this step is at once apparent when we consider that Mr. Coy accepted this position after having declined the mastership of Williston Seminary, as well as some of the smaller academies. Mr. Coy will take the school at its opening, and being subject to very little restriction, will be able fully to carry out his personal theories as to the system of instruction, etc.

The new school will seek a charter from the next Connecticut Legislature, and will be opened next October, as it is hoped that the buildings will be completed by September.

It is endowed by Mrs. M. H. Hotchkiss of N. Y. city, a native of Salisbury, with funds amounting to $200,000 in addition to the sum of $150,000, the cost of the buildings, and $25,000, the cost of the surrounding land, which has an area of seventy-five acres. The school buildings will have a frontage of five hundred feet, with a large three-story structure at the centre, flanked at either end with buildings for the masters, which will connect with the central structure by covered corridors.

The school will be small at first, being limited to fifty boarders, and will be gradually increased until it reaches its maximum - 200. The school will retain some of the features of the regular preparatory schools, but in the methods of instruction - especially in English branches and dead languages, several modifications will be made. The school will be non-sectarian, and a number of unique plans for education will be adopted.