Bowdoin Prize Dissertation.

Mr. Edward Lincoln Jellinek read his Bowdoin Prize Dissertation last evening in Sever 5. His theme was "Burke's Views on the Proper Relations between England and Ireland," and he showed such clearness of expression and breadth of view as could only have been acquired by deep thought and a complete mastery of the subject.

Mr. Jellinek said that to understand Burke we must take into account the circumstances that surrounded him. He never forgot his native country, and his speeches on Irish questions form the most valuable of his works. Burke was conservative and a utilitarian, always calm and just in his opinions and his actions. He wished to place Ireland on an equal commercial footing with England, and endeavored to show that Ireland's prosperity would be England's prosperity. When he entered on his political career, Ireland was regarded merely as a colony to be governed solely for the advantages of England, and it was in combating this idea that the greatest of Irish statesmen passed his life.

Mr. Jellinek carefully defined Burke's position on the various questions of the day, and also gave a clear account of English-Irish difficulties up to the present time. His style was always graceful and at times even eloquent, and Mr. Jellinek deserves the congratulations of all who heard him.