Dartmouth's New President.

At a meeting of the trustees Tuesday night Rev. William J. Tucker, D. D., professor of sacred rhetoric in Andover Theological Seminary, was elected president of Dartmouth College, to succeed President S. O. Bartlett, whose resignation will take effect next commencement.

Professor Tucker graduated at Dartmouth in 1861, and after graduation taught school a few years, graduating from Andover Theological Seminary in 1863. In 1880 he was made professor of homilitics in the same seminary after having filled for a number of years, the pastorate of the Madison Square Presbyterian Church, New York. Dr. Tucker was one of the founders of the Andover Review and has been one of its most prominent editors since its organization. He received the degree of D. D. from Dartmouth in 1875, and, in 1878 was elected trustee on the nomination of the alumni. Last month Dr. Tucker was selected as orator before the Harvard Phi Beta Kappa Society next June. Dr. Tucker has had the most united support as nominee for the vacant office, from the alumni, trustees, faculty, and students of the college.