Harvard vs. Brown at Worcester.

Harvard defeated Brown, Saturday, at Worcester, in a game of seven innings. The game was very unsatisfactory in every way, as the captain of the Brown nine took offense at a decision of the umpire in the first of the eighth inning, and called his men off the field. The decision which made the trouble is perfectly sustained by the league rules, and was made with reference to Steere who made a three-bagger at the beginning of the eighth inning. As he ran bases, he failed apparently to touch second, but in the excitement Sexton ran up to the coacher's line thereby becoming a second coach, and then started across the diamond to make Steere go back to second. For this interference, Cobb promptly called the base-runner out, according to league rules. At this decision Brown went off the field, leaving Harvard winners, with the runs six to three, even innings. In addition to this unpleasant occurrence, the Brown coachers made themselves very unsportsmanlike, in resorting to the worn-out devices of howling, running up and down, coaching everybody else beside the base-runner and playing anything but base ball. The contrast between our own coaching and that of the Brown team was very creditable for Harvard.

Sexton and Tenney was the battery for Brown, and certainly they made a fine pair. Sexton was quicker than thought in catching men off bases, and Tenney was a sure thrower to second. The greatest contrast between the two nines was in the base-stealing. Brown stole nine bases to Harvard's two. And it all seemed to be due to their quick starting, giving the men a fine lead.

Highlands pitched a strong, hard game, giving only two men bases on balls. Once or twice he seemed to lose control of the ball, but only once or twice. Upton failed to hold him at all, evidently being bothered by his new stiff mitten. Besides this, moreover, Upton was very slow in throwing to bases, losing several good chances just by holding the ball too long. At third Cook was not quite as good as usual making a couple of very wild throws to first.

Brown opened up with a strike-out, followed by two runs, mostly on errors. Tenney was left at second, Magill struck out, and Weeks went out on an easy grounder to Dickinson. This ended the scoring for Brown, although three times she had men on third with only one man out, and once again with two out. In the fifth, they got three men on bases, and it looked as though they would get a couple of runs, but Weeks knocked a pop fly to Highlands, and made the third out.

Notwithstanding the score, it seemed at first as if Harvard had never seen a ball game before. Men stole bases, knocked easy ground hits and got their bases, and it seemed as if Brown would have a walkover. Then the men braced up and played the rest of the game in better shape. Harvard scored no runs in the first two innings. In the third Highlands struck out. Hovey got his base on balls, and Hallowell knocked a beauty base hit over in right field and would have gotten second but for a fine stop and throw by Cook. Frothingham got a good base hit, bringing in two men, but was left at second. In the fourth Cook got his base on balls, and Upton sent him to second by a terrible fumble of his hit, by Steere. With two men out Hallowell got first and Cook came in on a fumble by Magill at third. No more runs were made by Harvard till the seventh. Dickinson went out on a pop fly to Sexton. Mason got first on a base hit out to right field, Corbett fouled out, and then Cook got his base on balls, advancing Mason a base. Upton came to the bat, and knocked out a single, letting in two runs and got in himself on Highlands' two-bagger out to right field fence. This ended the scoring for the game.

The score at the end of the end of the seventh was as follows:

HARVARD.

A.B. R. B.H. T.B. S.H. P.O. A. E.

Hovey ss., 4 1 1 1 0 1 0 0

Hallowell c.f., 3 1 1 1 0 2 0 0

Frothingham 2b, 4 0 1 1 0 1 0 0

Dickinson 1b., 4 0 0 0 0 6 0 1

Mason lf., 3 1 2 2 0 0 0 0

Corbett rf., 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 0

Cook 3b., 2 2 0 0 1 1 0 2

Upton c., 4 1 1 1 0 8 2 1

Highlands p., 4 0 1 2 0 1 13 2

- - - - - - - -

Total, 30 6 7 8 1 21 15 6

BROWN.

A.B. R. B.H. T.B. S.H. P.O. A. E.

Sexton p., 4 0 0 0 0 2 6 0

Woodcock cf., 4 1 0 0 0 0 0 0

Tenney c., 3 1 1 1 1 4 1 0

Magill 3b., 4 0 0 0 1 0 1 1

Steere ss., 3 0 1 3 0 0 1 2

Weeks 1b., 3 0 1 1 0 10 0 0

Jones 2b., 3 1 1 1 0 2 2 0

Cook rf., 3 0 0 0 0 2 0 0

McLane lf., 3 0 0 0 0 1 0 1

- - - - - - - -

Total, 30 3 4 6 2 21 11 4

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Harvard 0 0 2 1 0 0 3 - 6

Brown, 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 - 3

Earned runs, Harvard, 3. Two-base hits, Highlands. Three-base hits, Steere. Stolen bases, Hallowell, (2); Woodcock, (3); Tenny, (3); Magill, Jones, (2); First base on balls, Hovey, Hallowell, Mason, Corbett, (2); Cook, (2); Tenney, Steere. First base on errors, Harvard, 2; Brown, 4. Struck out, Corbett, Upton, Highlands, Sexton, (3); Woodcock, (3); Steere, Cook, (2); McLane, (2). Left on bases, Harvard, 10; Brown, 7. Passed balls, Upton, Tenney. Wild pitches, Highlands, 2. Time, 2 hrs. Umpires, Mr. Cobb, Harvard, and Mr. Warbridge, Providence.