The Magazines for May.

Possibly the most interesting article to Harvard men, in the Atlantic Monthly for May is on "The Present Requirements for Admission to Harvard College." There is an excellent account of the evolution of our mode of conducting examinations together with a good discussion of the aim of the college in the matter of choice of subjects. The number contains also some correspondence of Emerson and Thoreau and several stories and poems.

The New England Magazine for the month might almost be called a "history" number. Of the twelve prose numbers, eight are directly concerned with events of the past or with people and places famous in our national history. Mr. W. E. Curtis contributes the first of a series of articles on "The South American Republics," and interesting accounts of Columbus, of "Henry Clay as Speaker of the House of Representatives," and of Governor Winthrop, also appear.

The Century contains a number of articles on art and an especially interesting one on "Architecture at the World's Columbian Exposition," by Henry Van Brunt. This article is finely illustrated and attractively written. "Homesteads of the Blue-Grass" is the title of an article on old Kentucky houses. Several pieces of fiction and an article on Columbus complete the number.