Yale, 1; Princeton, 0.

Yale defeated Princeton at New Haven Saturday by the score of 1 to 0. The game was one of the closest and most exciting that had ever been played upon the Yale field. The only run of the game was made in the eighth inning. Two men had gone out and Quinby, Yale's most uncertain batter, stood at the plate. He was wise, and Pitcher Altman was unsteady, and a base on balls was the result. Quinby started to steal second just as Speer cracked out a corking single to Easton at centre. Easton slammed the ball rather recklessly into the centre of the diamond, aiming to hold Quinby at third. Three Princeton men had gathered around the plate to stop the throw - Otto, Altman and Williams. All went for the ball and then halted, while the sphere bounded between them and rolled to the grand stand. Quinby easily scored, and Speer attempted the same feat but Altman had secured the ball and fielded it to Williams, who touched Speer as he slid in at the plate.

The game was a pitchers' battle from beginning to end. Three clean singles, at left centre, was pounded out of Altman, and only a solitary scratch off the Yale pitchers, Carter and Trudeau. This latter was in the fourth inning, when Carter occupied the box. Bradley sent a rolling grounder to third. Fincke stood behind the base awaiting it, but the ball struck the bag and stopped. Bradley was on first and had a fair chance to make second, but was held.

The nearest Princeton came to making another hit was in the third inning, when Ward banged a high liner to deep left centre. Both Redington and Speer ran for it, and Speer pulled it down as it was sailing along for a three-bagger, leaping high into the air to make the catch. Redington made two similar but slightly less difficult catches for Yale.

Two pretty double plays were made during the game. In the fifth Speer singled and took second on Fincke's fierce hit, but Fincke and the next batter, Greenway, were doubled up, Ward shoving Greenway's grounder to Brooks, who completed the play by shooting the ball to Otto. Yale closed the game by Quinby fielding Altman's grounders to Rustin, who touched second base, retiring Bradley, and getting the ball to first in time to head off Altman.

Princeton got no man beyond second base. Payne reached there on Rustin's error in the first and Ward's sacrifice; Brooks in the third on Rustin's error and Easton's sacrifice, and Bradley in the eighth on his own, and Brooks' base on balls.

The score:

YALE.

A.B. R. B. P.O. A. E.

Rustin, s.s. 4 0 0 1 4 2

Keator, r.f. 2 0 0 1 0 0

Redington, c.f. 3 0 1 3 0 0

Carter, p. 1 0 0 0 5 0

Trudeau, p. 1 0 0 0 0 0

Stephenson, 1b. 3 0 0 10 0 0

J. Quinby, 2b. 2 1 0 0 1 0

Speer, l.f. 2 0 2 2 0 0

Fincke, 3b. 3 0 0 1 1 1

Greenway, c. 3 0 0 9 1 0

-- -- -- --- -- --

Totals, 24 1 3 27 12 3

PRINCETON.

A.B. R. B. P.O. A. E.

Payne, l.f. 3 0 0 0 0 0

Ward, 2b. 3 0 0 1 5 1

Bradley, r.f. 4 0 1 3 0 0

Altman, p. 4 0 0 2 1 0

Otto, 1b. 3 0 0 8 1 0

Williams, c. 3 0 0 1 1 1

Gunster, 3b. 2 0 0 1 2 0

Brooks, s.s. 1 0 0 4 3 1

Easton, c.f. 2 0 0 4 0 0

-- -- -- -- -- --

Totals, 25 0 1 24 13 6

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Yale, 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1-1

First base on balls - Brooks, Gunster, Ward. Struck out - By Carter, Bradley, Gunster, Payne' by Trudeau, Ward, Altman, Williams, Easton. Double plays - Quinby, Rustin, to Stephenson; Ward, Brooks, to Otto. Umpire - O'Rourke. Time - 1h. 18m.