Intercollegiate Athletic Meeting.

The sixth annual meet of the New England Intercollegiate Athletic Association, held Wednesday in Springfield was a decided success in every way. Six records were broken and Amherst came out ahead with seven firsts and four seconds, Dartmouth next with four firsts and eight seconds, and Brown third with two firsts, three seconds, the other colleges, Williams, Wesleyan and Worcester Polytechnic sharing the remaining points.

The great event of the day was the breaking of the record for pole vaulting by H. L. Towne of Williams, who vaulted the bar at 10 ft. 9 in. This beats the intercollegiate record by 1 1-4 inches and the association record by 9 inches. The 220 yd. hurdle record was lowered one fifth of a second by H. C. Ide of Dartmouth, who also made a new record for the 220 yd. dash. In the two mile bicycle race G. D. Pratt of Amherst reduced the record from 6 m. 51 sec., to 6 m. 22 4-5 sec. N. D. Alexander of Amherst broke the record for putting the shot with a distance of 38 ft. 3 1-2 inches. N. T. Abbott, a lame athlete from Dartmouth, won the running high jump with the bar at a height of 5 ft. 9 in., thus breaking the record by half an inch.

The meeting was full of surprises. Towne, who took first in the pole vault, has never jumped over 10 ft. before this meeting, and his great record was as much of a surprise to himself as to others. It was confidently expected that Shattuck of Amherst would win the 220 yard dash, but Ide of Dartmouth led him through the whole race, making a record.